Saturday, February 26, 2011

deMooy, Robinson and Langstroth: Opening March 5, 2011


We are pleased to present three exhibitions of new works by three contemporary artists, each working in a Modernist vein.

Lower Gallery
"Visible World": Caroline deMooy
With this new series of oil paintings, deMooy continues to explore abstractions which are layered and complex, and suggestive of urban architecture and street scapes. DeMooy says:"The work is not based on any specific idea, but rather a feeling or thought that I have about the essence of the world around me. Depending on time of day, climate and seasonal conditions, my experience and my perception, nature provides me with a symphony of information that becomes my palette- much like notes in music. The multi-layered world, with its endless possibilities and outcomes presents a vast riddle of visual, emotional, psychological and spiritual information. These paintings represent the architecture of this complex survey."

Mezzanine Gallery
"New Work": John Paul Robinson
Robinson's latest sculptural works in glass are elegant, arcing and streamlined forms, suspended from polished metal wall mounts. Robinson says: "Science and technology are revealing a universe that is completely counter intuitive. Solid mass turns out to be a lot of energy and a lot of space and what time it is depends on how fast you are going. My work is an attempt to build a set of symbols that describe this reality. The pieces combine aspects of natural phenomena we grasp intuitively, pebbles in a pond, with those we don’t particle – wave duality. I am attempting to build a functioning model/myth of my world."

Upper Gallery 
"Between Lines": Chris Langstroth 
According to Toronto based art writer and educator, Betty-Ann Jordan, "Chris Langstroth's semi abstracts ostensibly depict people in crowds, but really, the main attraction is his patchwork of streaky, thick-as-boiled-frosting acrylic paint. The artist works intensely and swiftly while his pigment is still wet, laying down his colour swatches with a small trowel-like palette knife and plasterer's scrapers. About his self-appointed challenge to blend abstraction and figure painting, Langstroth says: "I don't want my paintings to be still - I like them noisy."

No comments:

Post a Comment